SS3 STUDENT ELECTROCUTED TO DEATH IN BENUE, NIGERIANS REACT

0
Shell Nigeria

Godwin Ejeh, a senior secondary school student of Jesus College, Otukpo Benue State, was electrocuted to death in the school hostel on October 6th while trying to charge his mobile phone.

According to the school principal Mr Ella Samuel, who spoke to Idoma Voice, the 18-year-old died while attempting to charge his phone directly from a naked wire.

“I received a call from one of my staff yesterday while I was on an assignment that one of my students has been shocked by electric, that I should rush down to the clinic immediately, on reaching the clinic. I only came to meet his dead body. On getting back to my school, after some findings, I discovered that incident happened while he was trying to charge his phone according to another student by the name lucky who witness the incident. I sincerely sympathize with the family of deceased and I pray his soul rest in perfect peace. Amen,”He was laid to rest yesterday 7th October, in his hometown Ekere Owukpa, Ogbadibo local government area of Benue state.

Meanwhile, Nigerians have been reacting to the incessant electrocution related deaths, urging officials of Power Holding Company of Nigeria, PHCN to be more proactive in maintenance of their facilities and in addressing issues related to faulty or disconnected naked wires, to reduce the spate of electrocution in the country.

Some have suggested that PHCN considers underground routing of electricity wires or full insulation particularly in areas with dense population.

They also advice that Nigerians should resist the temptation of handling their electricity problems but rather to pass them unto professionals.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here